Do you wish to score good marks but stressed thinking about exams? Be advised that exam stress relief is possible with yoga and meditation practices on a daily note! Just a small token of yoga exercise before you start studying & you will experience the high level of concentration in your study. Take a look at various Yoga Asanas to relieve exam stress!
Some Splashes of Its Origin
Yoga or deep meditation things were originated about 5000 years ago. Its focus was the real transformation of mind & soul by involving in mental, physical and spiritual workouts. Moreover, we have presented an article before here on Ezyshine that not only describes the origination of Yoga in the past & the foundation of Yoga Day (21st June) across the globe, but it also provides various Inspirational Yoga quotes for healthy living!
A famous counseling expert says, “Yoga & meditation are the best remedies to exam stress relief and hence, it increases the concentration levels. We guide the students to meditate at least for 20 minutes in the morning which will not only energize them but also give them peace of mind and help them study with full concentration.”
How Meditation is Helpful in Exams?
It’s a saying that the body needs laughter as much as it needs tears, and these both are the cleansers of stress. Apart from this, chocolate is known to be a good stress burner. Now, let’s talk about the other important aspect that increases mental strength and concentration.
Whenever exams are close, there is one thing that gets connected to almost every student in the world – “stress”. You might not be able to sleep properly out of stress and this exam phobia weakens your concentration towards studies. When you have an exam stress or exam phobia, then you need to understand the physiological & psychological factors behind stress. This mental pressure of exam fever may cause sleepless nights, depression, pace heartbeats, emotional draining, etc.
And you won’t believe the fact that this tension also disturbs your digestion system. Yes, it’s right my friends! Well, we have a solid plan for your exam stress relief. Wake up early in the morning and perform some yoga or exercise like Pranayama and Surya Namaskar! This will help you with exam stress relief & you can perform well in your academics!
Yoga gives birth to self-confidence and vanishes the tension just before exam time.
Try these expert Yoga postures given by Yoga gurus & you will achieve the desired exam stress relief all over.
1. Matsya Asana (The Fish Pose)
This Yoga asana is actually pronounced as mut-see-ahs-ana. As you have to keep the legs straight while doing the posture, this is quite a tough one for the beginners. But as a bright student, you know that nothing is impossible, Right?
Experience the exam stress relief with this yoga posture as it helps in reducing stress and tension to a maximum level. This pose also boosts up the entire immune system and gives you a charged up life.
Steps to perform Matsya Asana
- Sit in padmasana posture in relax mood.
- Now try to lie down back with the help of your hands and elbows.
- Raise the trunk and place the top of the head on the floor.
- It will form an arc shape.
- Rest your palms on thighs and elbows on the floor.
- Be in this position for some seconds.
- Slowly with the help of your hands lie down and unfold your legs.
Mountain yoga pose is one of the important parts of Surya Namaskara (Sun Salutation). Like all other yoga postures, this parvatasana also has its own benefits and limitations. In contrast to exam stress relief thing, this asana improves focus and concentration on the go! When you experience the problem of stressed muscles or a restless backache after long hours of study, then this yoga asana is the true driving force behind your relaxation.
Steps to perform Parvatasana
- Sit on a flat surface with your back and neck straight in the position of vajrasana or padmasana.
- Stretch your hands above your head.
- Join your both the palms in the namaskar mudra while inhaling.
- Stay in this position for few seconds and then back to normal position while exhaling.
- Repeat it for 2-5 min.
3. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog Pose)
It is made from the Sanskrit words – ‘Adho’ means ‘down’, ‘Mukha’ means ‘face’, ‘Svana’ means ‘dog’. It is most often performed as a part of Surya Namaskara.
This is a god gift posture for those students who study on the table for continuous long hours. It contributes to the exam stress relief by relaxing the nervous system. Regular performance of this pose will keep your mind prepared for severe tensed situations & still make you achieve the target.
Steps to perform Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Come onto your fours. Form a table such that your back forms the table top and your hands and feet form the legs of the table.
- As you breathe out, lift the hips up, straightening the knees and elbows, form an inverted V-shape with the body.
- Hands are shoulder width apart, feet are hip width apart and parallel to each other. Toes point straight ahead.
- Press your hands into the ground. Widen through the shoulder blades. Keep the neck lengthened by touching the ears to the inner arms.
- Hold the downward dog pose and take long deep breaths. Look towards the navel.
- Exhale. Bend the knees, return to table pose. Relax.
4. Ujjayi Pranayama
We see that during exams, the student tends to get glued on their study tables & hence, the movement of the body is negligible. This is a simple breathing exercise that has a tremendous effect on the mind & body. It is a practice of both inhalation and exhalation that is performed through the nose. This yoga posture gives a heat effect of the body which makes your mind relaxed. Moreover, it helps you to relieve from the cold.
Steps to perform Ujjayi Pranayama
- Sit comfortably in padmasana.
- Close your eyes and slightly open your mouth and do inhale and exhale.
- Try to contract your throat while inhaling & feel the air passing through your windpipe.
- Make the sound ‘Haaaaaaaaaaa” while exhaling.
- When you become comfortable like this, close your mouth and inhale through your nostrils.
- Exhale through your nose but don’t forget to control your throat muscles while exhaling.
5. Greeva Sanchalana (neck movements)
This yoga posture is an advantage for students in achieving the exam stress relief. It allows you to move your neck up and down, left and right! In short, this yoga pose helps you to relief the muscles of your neck and shoulders. Moreover, all the major organs of the body pass through the neck. Hence, this yogic way will give you a body relaxed and you will be out of tension, heaviness in your mind. Go through these points and start working on them today!
Steps to perform Greeva Sanchalana
- Sit in the base position with your hands on your knees and back straight.
- Now stretch your neck in front and try to touch your chin with your chest. (while exhaling)
- Let it be for 10 sec.
- Now bend your neck backward and try to stretch it as much as you can. (While inhaling)
- Repeat it 10 times.
- Bend your head towards the right and touch your ear with your shoulder.
- Now slowly bend your head towards the left and touch your ear with your shoulder.
- Repeat it 10 times.
- Now move your head to the left and right and try to feel the stretch of your muscles.
- Practice it for 10 times.
- Now look forward and relax for 2 min.
- Now rotate your head in the clockwise and anticlockwise direction.
- Rotate it for 10-15 times.
Note: Do not overstretch your muscles.
Categorised in: Health